Sunday, August 23, 2009

Angela's Scallop Sensation

I've been meaning to start this for a while. I had the idea a month or so ago, but never got around to sitting down and actually writing until now. This weekend has been a bit of an inspiration for my new cooking blog seeing as 1.) I went to see Julie and Julia and 2.) I ran into Becky, who asked for one of my recipes.

That being said, I wish to further elaborate on my cooking style. I guess it can be summed up in four words: Healthy, Easy, Appealing, and Delicious. Oh, and cheap. I use basic ingredients, and usually stay under 5 or so things per recipe. I believe that every kitchen should have salt/pepper (from here on out known as "s/p"), a jar of minced garlic, Enova oil, and the basic condiments (butter, mayo, etc.); I'm not going to tell you to buy these things, because you already have them. I should also let you know that I'm not one for measuring things out, so I apologize in advance for my over abundance of "dashes" or "sprinkles". I feel like that makes things easier, but if it bothers you, sorry, but this is my blog.

Enough of that boring stuff. The first meal I've decided to post is also my favorite to make: Angela's Scallop Sensation. Say it with me now, "nomnomnom." Truth be told, I didn't eat a scallop until I was 24 years old. I really don't know how I lived that long without them. Thanks to a dinner party at Angela's, scallops are now in my diet pretty regularly. So, here's how you make them:



Grocery List:
1.) 1 lb. scallops (on sale at Publix until Tues, 8/25, for $6.99/lb)
2.) 3 different colored bell peppers (green, red, yellow, or orange)
3.) Couscous (It's on the rice aisle. I buy "Near East Whole Grain" and use 1/2 the box, which they say is 2 servings, but it's really 4.)

In order to prep for this, all you have to do is cut the peppers, rinse/drain the scallops, and start the water/oil boiling for the couscous.

To cook the scallops, coat a large skillet with a little oil and a spoonful of garlic. Once that's warm on the stove, throw in the scallops and s/p them. Do not touch them, and let them cook for a few minutes on one side, then turn them over and s/p the other side. Scallops aren't something that should be constantly fondled. Just put them in the pan and let them cook.

Once they're about done, add the peppers, and saute until they're the crispness that you enjoy. This usually takes just a few minutes.

When your water is boiling, add the couscous and take it off the heat. Let it sit, covered, 5 min or until you're ready to eat. Then fluff it with a fork, and put it on a plate.

Top the couscous with the scallops/peppers, and you're ready to eat. nomnomnom...

No comments:

Post a Comment